Re: problems creating database (suse 8.1 / orcl 9.2.0.1 )

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:27:16 GMT

Rene Scharf wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm a newbee on linux and my english isn't so good but i Hope someone can
> help me
>
> My oracle installation on my Linux goes fine and the orcl-demo-Database was
> also running.
>
> because i've installed many instances on Win-NT systemes i want to create my
> own database on the Linux system.
>
> with the oracle-User i've done the following:
>
> I've edit the listener.ora and started the lsnrctrl. It seemed to be OK
>
> then on the console
>
> ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/OraHome1
> ORACLE_SID=cs2
> export ORACLE_HOME
> export ORACLE_SID
>
> /home/oracle/OraHome1/bin/orapwd
> file=/home/oracle/OraHome1/dbs/orapwdcs2.ora password=manager entries=5
>
> this all seemed also OK
> then
>
> /home/oracle/OraHome1/bin/sqlplus /nolog
> @/home/oracle/scripts/cs2/create/CS2run.sql
>
> The lines of the Script which where processed:
>
> connect/ as sysdba
> startup nomount pfile="/home/oracle/OraHome1/dbs/initcs2.ora"
>
> By the startup-line i get the following errors
>
> ORA-00444: background process "PMON" failed while starting
> ORA-07446: sdnfy: bad value '' for parameter .
>
> Is there anything missing in my procedure?
> The initcs2.ora is in a version which is running on a WIN-NT-System The
> File-pathes in the .ora are changed to the Linux-Pathes
>
> so! I hope someone have a tip for me.
>
> Greetings René

I have a note in one of my journals that applies to manually creating a database on Solaris, so I don't know if it applies to Linux:

When creating your password file, try something like this:

$ export ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle/
$ export ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/OraHome1
$ export ORACLE_SID=cs2

$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

$ ### Create a password file.
$ orapwd file=orapwcs2 password=<password> entries=20

    NOTES:

  1. The ORACLE_SID must be correct. You won't get an error if it is wrong, but the database create will fail.
  2. Do NOT put a file extension on the password file! If you do, the database create will fail (can't find orapw, which is the default if it can't find one named with cs2).

Like I said, this might not be your problem. I just noticed that you added an extension to your password file and also, the default that Oracle looks for is 'orapw' not 'orapwd'. Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 17:27:16 CST