Re: find physical blocks/disks, mapped from Oracle file# and block#, block corruption

From: lopera <prlopera_at_techie.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:57:08 +0100

true indeed I didnt provide enough infos

Oracle version ==> 8.1.7.4
O.S ==> Suse Linux Enterprise 7
Server ==> Compaq (I dont know the exact model) woth 4 CPUs and 14GB RAM Disks ==> the ones which came with Compaq box, 16 disks in RAID 0 + 1 FS ==> Ext3 (Linux FS)

I did run DBVERIFY (in all 4 corruptions faced this month) and to my surprise it says there is no error!

I am thinking of enabling db_block_checking but I am not 100% sure what it does, I am reading some notes from Metalink and looks quite confusing to me.... some says this parameter can determine if we are facing memory corruption and others talks about different function. What I understand is it checks data blocks read from data block buffer before write to disk, if it's not logically healthy Oracle signals ORA-01578. (And it make the instance crash?) Anyone have experience with DB_BLOCK_CHECKING?