Re: [Q]How to minimize damage done by Java

From: Thomas Koschate <koschateDELETE_ALL_CAPS_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:14:49 -0500

In article <au0cal$3hb$1_at_newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, alexander_miroshnikov_at_hotmail.com says...

> Java developers tend to load data from the database into memory and perform
> inefficient operations on collections of entity beans instead of executing
> economic sql queries inside the database. This approach does work but it
> cannot address properly most of data related issues including performance,
> integrity, concurrency, scalability and control over appropriate use of the
> database.

This isn't a practice that's limited to Java programmers. I've seen it done in Smalltalk and other languages, too. I would suggest that it's more indicative of a programmer that's never worked with a really large data set, or had to deal with a database that lives at the other end of a slow data connection. Almost inevitably, it's a programmer that's never worked outside of the PC environment, because programmers with a main or mid-frame environment have had that nonsense pounded out of them early in their careers!

Thomas Koschate
koschate_at_DELETE_ALL_CAPSbigfoot.com

For PGP Key, see
http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF45280AD