Re: [Q]How to minimize damage done by Java

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:12:09 +1100

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:14:49 -0500, Thomas Koschate said (and I quote):
> In article <au0cal$3hb$1_at_newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> alexander_miroshnikov_at_hotmail.com says...
>
> > Java developers tend to load data from the database into memory and perform
> > inefficient operations on collections of entity beans instead of executing
> > economic sql queries inside the database. This approach does work but it
> > cannot address properly most of data related issues including performance,
> > integrity, concurrency, scalability and control over appropriate use of the
> > database.
>
> This isn't a practice that's limited to Java programmers. I've seen it
> done in Smalltalk and other languages, too. I would suggest that it's

Entity beans are one of the most moronic, deranged and totally stupid ideas I've ever seen imposed in this industry. Only someone living in complete lah-lah-land could ever have come up with this concept!

Even the most ardent defenders of J2EE have now realized (at BLOODY LAST!!!) that this is so. Go to the serverside web site for multiple threads on this subject. Where they recognize (finally!!!) that this is a very stupid idea.

IMO the whole of the J2EE architecture is deranged. Entity beans are just the most obvious case...

> more indicative of a programmer that's never worked with a really large
> data set, or had to deal with a database that lives at the other end of
> a slow data connection. Almost inevitably, it's a programmer that's
> never worked outside of the PC environment, because programmers with a
> main or mid-frame environment have had that nonsense pounded out of them
> early in their careers!

You got that right. Unfortunately, this industry is still looking for silver bullets and people with "magical" qualifications. Which leaves many of the "architects" of this technology still at large. Doing as much damage as they can...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Dec 22 2002 - 07:12:09 CST