Re: many connections to OracleDB -> memory/performance problems

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:17:24 GMT

Comments embedded.

Nowitzky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my java-application use connection pooling. After some hours I habe 90
> connection to my Oracle9i (on Linux) database; only some of them are
> active. That is ok.

Did you write your own "connection pooling" app? We use WebLogic to handle our connection pool ... and it only has the number we've specified in the pool. Some of them are active, some are inactive. That's just the way WL allocates them and keeps them alive.

So your 90 is maybe ok (if you've asked for a pool that large), but probably it's not ok (connections are not being released back into the pool, but are always grabbing a new connection).

> But in my process list (operating system) I see that every database
> process/thread will use more than 400MB (after starting the application
> each process will user 100KB and during the time this size is growing
> enormously). The result is that the system swaps, because 4GB memory are
> to small. Can I limit the size which will be used from an oracle
> process? And how I configure this optimal?
Don't know the answer to this one.

> I'm using a dedicated server. Shoud I use MTS? And how I can configure
> this in the best way?

The answer to this is that famous - "it depends." Don't you just love that answer? What it depends on is what kind of interaction clients carry on with the database. Are they casual users who request database interaction, think a while, request another, think a bit longer, and so on? Are they heavy batch users who either slam data into the database or request long-running reports? Your answers to these kinds of questions will determine whether dedicated or shared is the better option.

The Net8/Net9 manual at http://tahiti.oracle.com should help. If that doc doesn't help, post another query on the NG.