Re: Enterprise-wide development environments?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2002 13:15:28 -0600

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, kfarrell_at_belgariad.com wrote:

> We have a relatively small NT box for our developers (but we
> have dozens, not hundreds, of developers). Each developer is a
> schema owner so they can keep a copy of the current (or under
> development) schema. Each of them has a local copy of WebLogic
> that they can "point" to any of the databases.

I figured if they can admin their local copy of WebLogic, they could probably admin local copy of Oracle as well.

I would be providing all of the scripts for doing so, so they would end up being just "proxy admins".

The thing I was trying to avoid would be chasing down performance issues that weren't really related to the application. But, I was also worried that I might introduce to much of a quagmire for myself because I would be asking developers to act as local database admins. I've been thinking it over even more. I guess I'll stick with the tried and true method of one instance for development.

Thanks for the comments guys.

--
Galen Boyer