Re: Access is Denied Error

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:58:13 +0100

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:47:38 -0500, "jeff" <jeff.roscher_at_nospam.informationpros.com> wrote:

>I just installed Oracle 9i on a Windows XP Professional machine. I am
>trying to get my vbscript/asp programs to connect to the database I created.
>I set up 2 ODBC connections on the system tab, one driver is "Oracle in
>OraHome92" and one is "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle".
>
>Using the first driver I am able to test the connection in the ODBC
>administrator and it comes back successful. When I go into IE and use this
>connection through my vbscript/asp program I get an "access is denied" error
>on the line that performs the conn.open command. I get a similar error if I
>try to "Start HTTP Server powered by Apache", [alert] (5) Access is denied:
>FastCGI: CreateMutex() failed....
>
>Using the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle driver I get an error that "The
>Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These
>components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle
>Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable
>to use this driver until these components have been installed." I believe
>that every option in the installation said that the client software was
>installed.
>
>I am able to connect through sql+ using the same user id and password. All
>the other Oracle tools I use seem to see the database and I see the database
>in the tnsnames.ora file.
>
>Please help! I have to give a demo on Wednesday and can't do it without
>getting my programs to talk to the database. Please accept my thanks in
>advance for any help provided.

The Microsux ODBC driver has the Oracle dll file names hardcoded. You are using a way too old Microsux driver which is compatible with 7.3. As Oracle in the meantime has changed the filenames, it is not going to work, ever.
You need to download the Oracle ODBC driver from otn, or use the other driver which should work.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Nov 17 2002 - 09:58:13 CST