Re: Cold backups shell script

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <kennethkoenraadt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2002 07:40:39 -0800

Hi Steven,

You did not provide your script code in your post, which you should....

In a shell script (sh, ksh or bash) , the only way to avoid expansion of a $ is to put it into single quotes : '$<identifier>'.

If you want to execute a sql statement from a shell script, the easist way is to put the statement into a file, script.sql, and then in your shell script :
sqlplus user/pwd < script.sql > script.output

Putting the sql code directly into the shell script is more complicated, but certainly doable. The main problem is, as you experience, that the shell script will try to expand some characters in the sql statements which should not be expanded.