Re: Oracle personal edition?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:04:15 +1000

Hi Galen: I agree: mindshare is important, and anything which increases that is surely a good thing, I would have thought. But what you or I might think "reasonable" is not necessarily the legal position (and the difference between the reasonableness and the legalities of a situation is one I've learnt at first hand).

It's obvious that, like any other major software company, Oracle Corporation has bigger fish to fry than chasing up every Nancy Schmo with an address book in the database that might be out there ...and they'd look complete pillocks (ie, corporate thugs) if they did, which is presumably one reason why they don't (the other being the excessive costs compared to any possible benefit). But their refusal to take action in one or one thousand cases doesn't mean they don't have a right to do so in the thousandth-and-first.

Nevertheless, it remains the height of idiocy to scare people off the free download with talk of "piracy" and "illegality", because Oracle Corp. has built plenty of lattitude into their license agreement already permitting extensive learning, development and prototyping time. So I'm with you: pretty much anything goes, except earning mega-bucks from a freebie.

Regards