Re: Oracle personal edition?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2002 20:31:19 -0500

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:

> So if Nancy Schmo has developed a recipe or CD collection for her own
> personal use, and uses it regularly to prepare Saturday night dinners
> or a choice of relaxing classics to play in the background at such
> dinners, yes -she is violating the agreement.
>
> But she can use the software for as long as she needs to learn *how*
> to develop a recipe or CD collection. And the mere existence within
> the database of a cd_table or a recipe_table would not be a problem,
> since she has to be able to prototype with something.

At least I've never been in violation. The companies I have been working in have downloaded Oracle and developed against it and then deployed to a purchased version.

Hm... saving one's address book in a local Oracle database is a violation. Why should Oracle care if every home in the US has people using a local copy of its database for saving their recipes and address books? They don't have to support them, they don't lose any money and they might get a few more people who end up as developers and therefore more mindshare.

--
Galen deForest Boyer