Re: Recovery on a New Machine

From: Nancy Wells <nancy_b_wells_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2002 01:46:06 -0700

Candido Dessanti <termy_at_blunet.it> wrote in message news:<3D8706E7.5010008_at_blunet.it>...
> This is gonna be an incomplete recovery (you will miss all the
> transaction not recordered in archived logs)

  I'm prepared for that.

> Install the same version of oracle on another machine then
> restore your cold backup and copy the archived redo logs
> you have on the target machine, possibly using the same
> path then;
>
> start the instance and mount it
>
> issue
> 1)RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE

I have a backup (cold) of the control file taken on Sunday, when all the datafiles were backed up. Will that do. Is that what you mean by a BACKUP CONTROLFILE. (I did do any BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO .....) Or should the control file correspond to the time i'm planning to recover to.

I have a copy of the current control file, when the system crashed. Can i use this?

> 2)now oracle will generate the names of the archivedlogs it's missing on
> controlfile; apply all the archived logs you have and when finished type
> CANCEL

How will Oracle know what archive logs are required if i'm using Sunday's control at which time the archives were not generated.

> now if successful you have to open the database resetting your redologs
>
> 3)ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
>
> 4)check if everyhing is ok and take a full backup of your restored database;
>
> If you have Redo Logs up to date you can try to do a complete recovery
> just change the 2 command with this
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
> If it doesnt work telling you to open with reset logs issue 2 command
>

> ciao
>
> ps: better if you take some time reading the documentation about
> backup/recovery in oracle's www site.

Yes I should do that..... I have done quite a bit of documentation reading but i'm not clear on this situation....

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
N. Wells Received on Thu Sep 19 2002 - 03:46:06 CDT