Re: Recovery on a New Machine

From: Makbo <makbo2_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 01:28:21 GMT

I have tried this before (best time to try it is in a test environment!!)

It is not so straightforward (sometimes not possible) to roll forward archive redo logs made after a cold backup. Check the Oracle 8i documentation for "Restoring a Pre-RESETLOGS Backup: Scenario".

Quote: "In this scenario, if you had opened the database after the Friday night backup and before opening the database with RESETLOGS, or, did not have a control file from after opening the database, you would not be able to use the Friday night backup to roll forward. You must have a backup after opening the database with the RESETLOGS option in order to be able to recover."

-Mark B.