Re: shutdown immediate hangs

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:38:45 +1000

"Makbo" <makbo2_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:3D8D1813.4060608_at_netscape.net...
> One "interesting thing" that can happen is if a tablespace is in hot
> backup state, it will falsely report "media recovery required" when you
> try to start back up. Oracle's documentation states how to clear this;
> nevertheless it's not a fun thing to have to do in the middle of the
> night.

Anyone who issues a shutdown abort when they know their database is in the middle of a hot backup wants to seriously look at their administration skills. But that aside, as you say, 'recovery' from such a cock-up is not exactly difficult.

>Also, under the right circumstances, I'd bet a distributed
> transaction could experience hiccups from this.

Well, the instance *without* distributed transactions experiences something of a 'hiccup'. But once again, if you're suggesting that shutdown abort in and of itself would cause some transactionally inconsistent results, whatever the environment, that's just not true.

> Recoverable, yes, supported, yes, desireable, no.
>
> BTW, I've worked in environments both with daily "shutdown aborts" and
> without, my druthers are "shutdown immediate", which under Oracle 8i I
> have not seen hang (unlike 7.3.4). Why induce instance recovery if you
> don't have to?

I'm not saying 'go for it every time'. That's just as daft as beng scared of having to use it when you need to. What this 'discussion' has been about is whether it is preferable to do a shutdown abort as compared with knocking up some home-produced script that does numerous 'alter system kill session' commands, or as compared with numerous 'kill -9' commands at the O/S level.

So, I entirely agree: it's not particularly "desirable", and an immediate would always be my preferred mode of shutdown (assuming I had a deadline and couldn't wait for a normal to do its stuff).

But that's not quite what we ended up discussing, which is this myth that aborts are somehow 'dangerous'.

> On the other hand, I'm practical -- if "shutdown immediate" hangs in my
> environment and I can't come up with anything better in a reasonable
> time, then "shutdown abort" it is.

Exactly right. A pragmatic approach, utilising all the tools Oracle makes available to you, is infinitely better than 'believing' something to be flakey when it isn't.

I'm with you: when its the right thing to do, shutdown aborts are perfectly reasonable things to undertake.

Regards
HJR