Re: Recovery on a New Machine

From: Nancy Wells <nancy_b_wells_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2002 01:56:08 -0700

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the reply.

> Can you access any portion of the previous database ? The key portion here I
> guess are the online redo logs, or specifically those that were not
> archived. The current controlfile might prove useful too. Hey, if you can
> access all the datafiles we can really be in business.

I have a cold backup of all the datafiles and the control file taken on Sunday night. I also have a copy of the current control file when the system crashed on Wednessday afternoon. I dont have copies of the online redologs and dont have access to the disk drives.

> If the answer is no, then an incomplete recovery using your cold backup
> datafiles and controlfile is your best option. Startup mount followed by a
> RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL. Hit cancel when
> you've applied your last available redo log and open database with
> resetlogs.

Is the BACKUP CONTROLFILE the same as the cold backup control file? How will it know what archived redo logs have to applied.. (Pardon me if this sounds stupid)

> Losing all your data and corresponding redo log is not a nice situation to
> be in.
>
> However if you do have access to all the unarchived redo logs, no worries,
> they can be applied and bingo, the database is back (although if you're
> using the backed up controlfile you still need to open the database with
> resetlogs).

Are you saying if i had all the online redologs, i could have recovered completely?

Thanks a ton and Best Regards,
N. Wells