Trouble connecting to Linux Oracle from Windows

From: dbuckingham <member_at_dbfoums.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 01:56:21 +0000

Have set up 8.1.7 on redhat and I am trying to connect to the database from a windows machine, but so far i am unable to.

Parameter file for windows and linux is as follows:

bane =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY=TCP.WORLD)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 10.0.0.30)
(PORT = 1521)

)
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY=TCP.WORLD)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 10.0.0.30)
(PORT = 1526)

)
)

    (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = bane.world)     )
    )

Have tried using SID instead of SERVICE_NAME and also substituting the IP address with the actual Server Name.

The Listener is setup on the Linux machine as follows:

# Name of listener and addresses to listen on LISTENER =
( ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL=tcp)
(HOST=Redhat)
(PORT=1521)

                )
                (ADDRESS =
                (PROTOCOL=ipc)
                (KEY=EXTPROC)

                )
                )

# List of services served by this listener SID_LIST_LISTENER=
(SID_LIST=
(SID_DESC=
(SID_NAME=bane)
(ORACLE_HOME=/sdb3/app/product/8.1.7)

)
)

# Start of configuration parameters.
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER=OFF
TRACE_FILE_LISTENER = "listener"
LOG_FILE_LISTENER = "listener"
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
STOP_LISTENER = YES
DBA_GROUP = dba

When I try connecting from SQL Plus from windows I get the following error at the moment:

ORA - 03113: end of file on communication channel.

How ever i am able to do a TNSPING bane and it pins ok without an issue.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

Regards

Dan.