Re: Trouble connecting to Linux Oracle from Windows

From: Jason Baugher <jason_at_baugher.pike.il.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:52:30 GMT

dbuckingham <member_at_dbfoums.com> wrote in news:1737242.1030326981_at_dbforums.com:

> When I try connecting from SQL Plus from windows I get the following
> error at the moment:
>
> ORA - 03113: end of file on communication channel.
>
> How ever i am able to do a TNSPING bane and it pins ok without an
> issue.
>
> Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?
>
> Regards
>
> Dan.

2 possible issues:

  1. You didn't configure the shared memory kernel settings on your box. Look at the Linux Release Notes for your version of Oracle. Get them at technet.oracle.com.
  2. You have shared memory that didn't release correctly, and you're out of shared memory. Use ipcs to see shared memory segments owned by the oracle user, and ipcrm to remove them. Most likely they will have "0" in the nattch column.
--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services