Re: Trouble connecting to Linux Oracle from Windows

From: dbuckingham <member_at_dbfoums.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 04:19:02 +0000

Hi Daniel and Jason,

Thanks for the replies. Looking at this, if I read the Linux/oracle documentation and what I can find on the net, it indicates that if this was the issue, then i shouldnt have been able to actually build the database in teh first place? However, being new to the whole Linux thing, I will not argue that point to much.

As a result, I have re-read the documentation from Technet concerning this and noted that there was a way to update the kernel on the fly for SHMMAX: echo >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Since my machine has 512MB RAM, I set this to be 0x10000000 (about 256Meg), then stoped and started the database and tried to connect again from the windows machine.

I am still receiving the same error:

SQL> connect m_lincs/m_lincs_at_bane
ERROR:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

However, I have noticed that if I use the internal user, I get a different error:

SQL> connect internal/oracle_at_bane
ERROR:
ORA-24327: need explicit attach before authenticating a user

Jason if I issue a ipcs it indicates that Oracle is taking up about 28 megs and has a value of 7 in the nattch column. not sure what all this means?

As far as oracle is concerned, everything on the linux box works a treat. I can make multiple connections to database, run queries etc....

The problem is contained to the windows box trying to connect from sqlplus.

Does any of this additional information help out?

In so far as setting up the shared memory, is there a way to do this now that oracle has already been built. The documentation talks about doing this before installing oracle, can I do this now that it is installed?

Thanks agian.

Daniel Buckingham
Finmatica Mercia
Technical consultant.