Re: is it really true that db2 is overtaking oracle ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:10:20 +1000

"vob" <volkmar_buehringer_at_yahoo.de> wrote in message news:aj2p3s$kve$07$3_at_news.t-online.com...
> what is the market situation for oracle / db databases ??
>
> I don't think that the latest db-release is better than oracle db.
>
> 9.2 is a very good system on the optimal plattform.
>
> Are oracle databases beeing replaced by db2 databases and why ??

The last part of your question rather pre-judges the answer to the first part, doesn't it?

I think the real answer to the question is 'who cares?'. If Oracle's marketshare were plummeting, then we'd have cause to worry. But a percentage point here and there is of no consequence, particularly when IBM's figures for "db2" covers about half a dozen different products, and even now include Informix customers.

Regardless: the market is carved up between two principle players, plus a minor third, and that situation isn't going to change any time soon. As you say, Oracle's offering is extremely good, incredibly functionally rich and (here's a bit of a bummer) rather expensive.

If we have more than a few percentage point drops, I think you might see that last point being addressed before it becomes a rout.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Aug 10 2002 - 07:10:20 CDT