Re: is it really true that db2 is overtaking oracle ?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Aug 2002 12:00:31 -0700

> what is the market situation for oracle / db databases ??
>
> I don't think that the latest db-release is better than oracle db.
>
> 9.2 is a very good system on the optimal plattform.
>
> Are oracle databases beeing replaced by db2 databases and why ??

Beauty is in the eyes of a beholder. You ask the same question in DB2 and Oracle NG's, you will get a different answer. However, the fact is that Oracle is not in any danger of loosing considerable marketshare to any DB vendor. Oracle may loose a few % point here and there but no doomsday scenarios.

Oracle's success comes from the fact that it has successfully penetrated the Enterprise database market in last decade and to dethrone Oracle from their bread and butter would be an equivalent of dethroning Microsoft from desktop PC OS market. I think both Larry and Bill are kind of intertwined in their destinies...Loss of one will most probably impact the other.

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Sun Aug 11 2002 - 14:00:31 CDT