cursor_sharing

From: Daud <daud11_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2002 05:17:17 -0700

Oracle 8.1.7.3.1

In 8i there is a new parameter (new to me!) cursor_sharing. From the doc, setting it to FORCE means forcing oracle to convert all sqls that use literal values to use bind variables. This is good especially when you have an app that does not use bind variables. What's the negative impact of setting it to force? I am a little curious because this is not the default setting which one would expect it to be if it is really beneficial. Can someone also pls explain what extra effort does Oracle need to do when it is set to force and whether this extra effort is, in your opinion, worthwhile.

rgds
Daud Received on Tue Aug 06 2002 - 07:17:17 CDT