Oracle 8.1.7 sort order

From: Jukka Peltonen <jukka.peltonen_at_helsoft.fi>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:15:08 GMT

Hello, I hope someone can explain this to me ....

Enviroment: Oracle 8.1.7, W2K, client 8.1.6 (oci.dll version)

Table: NIMIKE
Column:NIMIKEKOODI VARCHAR2 (40) NOT NULL

I get different results from following two SQL-clauses

1st clause:
select nimikekoodi from nimike where nimikekoodi < 'N50295X350'

Result: Rows that starts with numbers and "normal strings" that are smaller than 'N50295X350'

Data:
(EI)PAL495X703
// KALV 80
// VSK-MPE
001271X495

N50295X278

I think this is correct result.

2nd clause:
select nimikekoodi from nimike order by nimikekoodi

Result: All rows, but order is funny (at least I think so) because now those rows that starts with numbers are now after row 'N50295X350'

Data:
'// KALV 80'

'N50295X350'

9,964VKI I think this is NOT a correct result.

What am I doing wrong?

I think that there is something wrong because field nimikekoodi values are handled differently
depending on if it is in where- or order part of SQL-clause Received on Tue Aug 06 2002 - 06:15:08 CDT