Re: Question regarding 64-bit Oracle

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 02 Aug 2002 15:32:37 +0100 (BST)

Chucky <ccarson_at_syrrx.com> wrote:

>We are currently running Oracle 8.1.7r3 32-bit on Solaris 8 64-bit.
>
>1) What does upgrading to 64-bit do for us?

Buffer pools > 2GB. I've run with up to 120GB buffer cache. It reduces IO quite nicely.

>2) Is 64-bit stable for production environments?

As stable as any Oracle release. There are some bugs that exist only on a 32 or 64 bit version, but I haven't noticed 64 bit being inherently worse.

As with any migration - read the documentation carefully. The 32->64 bit migration is thoroughly covered in the Oracle Database Migration manual. You can get the documentation from <http://tahiti.oracle.com/>

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/