Is it possible to achieve five 9's without using OPS ?

From: Bass Chorng <bchorng_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Jul 2002 13:41:07 -0700

In your opinion about HA, is it possible to reach 5 9's (99.999% uptime or 5 minutes of down time per year) in an Oracle environment, without using OPS or 9iRAC ?

I am only familiar with VCS, but I think it is the same regardless what you use as HA platform, that is, if it requires a database startup in the fail-over, then it is nearly impossible to reach 5 9's.

Database startup on another node (basically from a shutdown abort of the original node) to my experience could take over 5 minutes alone. HW failures on a large system are usually more than once a year.

Replication tools in the market don't give you real time sync. Even if they do, the multiple point of failures and performance problem present a bigger issue.

I really can't think of a better way than 9iRAC. But I like to hear your opinion.

Thanks. Received on Mon Jul 22 2002 - 15:41:07 CDT