Re: Question Regarding Hot Backups

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 06:51:07 +1000

It makes no difference, practically speaking.

Whatever archives you miss one night, you'll get the next.

But, with that said, it makes a bit more sense to copy the archives after the datafiles, since to recover the datafiles you need to apply all redo since the time the first datafile went into hot backup mode. Therefore, starting the backup at 9.00pm (say), you need all archives from 9.00pm onwards. And that therefore implies copying them after the datafiles (because, if you were to copy them before the datafile copy, you'd be copying all archives UPTO 9pm).

The discussion about 'archive log current' has been done here several times, too (though usually in the context of doing a final log switch between the last datafile copy and the start of copying the archives). RMAN does it, so there's no harm in you doing it either.

But doing so again implies (to me) that a backup is a one-off event, and you feel a need to get 'everything to make the backupset as self-contained as possible'. But since backups are a continuous sequence of events, what doesn't get copied one time will get copied the next, so it really should never be an issue, and there's strictly no need to do it.

Those people that start their new backup by deleting their old one, however, are a different matter!

Regards