Re: Is it possible to achieve five 9's without using OPS ?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:08:53 +1000

Hi Bass,

Yes, 5 9s is possible without RAC but it's a question of insurance, probabilities and single points of failure.

If you have one box, that's one point of failure, lose it and you're gone.

Use RAC, you have now multiple points of failure, lose one box and you're OK.

But you still have one point of failure. Lose the building your RAC boxes live in, you're gone. If you use multiple buildings in close proximity, lose the city's power grid (aka I think Wellington in NZ) you're gone. But you're improving the odds quite significantly.

Now use Oracle Data Guard, have a SB DB in another part of the country and we now reduce the odds even further.

It's always a question of priorities and the economic necessity of having the appropriate 'insurance'.

However one point of failure that many organisations don't always consider is lose your one and only DBA that knows what's going on and you're gone.

Sad but true

Richard

Use multiple