Re: Oracle 8i or 9i vs SQL Server

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 19:59:12 -0700

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<9heZ8.37175$Hj3.109754_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...

> Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Here is something I suggest you try:

M$ currently has a campaign to woo people away from Oracle. They distribute free a CD pack with two CDs.

The first one has some marketing drivel on how much better SS2K is compared to Oracle V7. (!)
Or at least that's the featureset they claim as Oracle's...

The other CD has an evaluation copy (120 days) of SS2K. I loaded that in my PC at work. Contains a full set of doco where you can find all sorts of precious snippets of exactly how does SS2K "work".

I found it invaluable in trying to understand how can M$ claim it is ready for "enterprise wide" databases with a product that has the same recovery capabilities of Oracle Version 4.

Overall, it's a great educational tool. Call M$ and ask for one of those things. Great stuff. It helps if you tell them you're working for "so and so who wants to move away from Oracle". Immediate co-operation!

:-D

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 21:59:12 CDT