Re: Oracle 8i or 9i vs SQL Server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:28:40 +1000

Nuno, you're such a cynic!!

I have a similar CD, called 'SQL Server for Oracle Users' that (if memory serves) compares SS2K with Oracle 8i.

I think I posted here having just watched it (always a bad move): I rarely scream abuse at my monitor, but I was doing so that day. "See how easy it is to create a database in SQL Server <click, click, click>. Now see how hard it is to do in Oracle
<click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,cli ck,click,click,click,click,click,>.

'Course, never mind that what the guy was creating in SS2K was the equivalent of an Oracle schema or a tablespace, not a database. The man had a bushy beard, too, which is always worrying. And glasses. (Have I offended enough people yet? Sorry Jonathan!!).

I feel for anyone who wants a truly objective comparison of the two products, because you just can't get one without this sort of marketing spin (ie, crap) thrown in to confuse the issue. I see someone's recommended Tom Kytes first three chapters, and that's about a good as recommendation as I could've come up with, though it only addresses one narrow -though vitalissue  (namely, data concurrency and multi-versioning).

For the record, I used to use SQL Server to store my own (Oracle!) course notes in. I found the SS 'identity' feature much easier than the Oracle sequence business for knocking out a quick and meaningless primary key. (Gosh.. now there's a compelling reason, if ever I saw one). But I decided this was nonsense, so I bit the sequence bullet (ably assisted by Norman Dunbar's 'teach the instructor basic PL/SQL' lessons) and I haven't needed SS ever since. I miss the proper Windows GUI, and I wish Oracle didn't use Java for its own (though I can understand why it does). But honestly, if you've got a choice, I can't think why anyone would want to go the SQL Server route. Money might have something to do with, I suppose.

Anyway, enough rambling. All I can suggest Mr Foote can do to resolve his particular issue is go out to Dymocks and purchase the SAMS 'Teach Yourself SQL Server 2000 in 21 Days' book (AUS $77.95). It took me all of three days to read it from cover to cover, and isn't a half-bad introduction to a product which has its strengths in the right circumstances. Oh, and subscribe to the SS2K newsgroup -they're quite a friendly bunch, and don't tend to pop off "RTFM" every time you post.

Regards