Oracle 8i or 9i vs SQL Server

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:34:54 +1000

Hello All,

I'm currently doing some work for a client who are a MS shop through and though (so much so that even their houses have windows). However they've just purchased a 3rd party product that only runs on Oracle and have no idea how to set it up. That's where I come in.

However, as part of the skills transfer process what would be very handy would be to have a comparison between the two products (so I can speak more in their speak so to speak). I do have some doco on this (most of it marketing oriented), I've seen the Oracle white paper that focuses on performance differences and read various bits and pieces but I was wondering if any of you clever folk out there might have a doco or link to something that nicely summarises the main architectural and feature differences between the two.

I *DON'T* want to start another war over this (Oracle is better, no it's not SQL Server can do that just as well, rant rant rant). I also appreciate they're not exactly apples and apples (and that's probably why I haven't found quite what I'm after).

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Richard Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 08:34:54 CDT