Re: Oracle 8i - Create database by non product owner (e.g. oracle)

From: Frankie Li <earthy_at_hkicable.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 01:34:05 -0700

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:<aeleo8$dhm$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl>...
> Assuming "dba" is the group used as the DBA group when the software was
> installed and/or linked:
> make sure dba is the primary group for user oratest.
> Group "oinstall" is only required when you want to run the OUI but I would
> recomment to use oracle account only for this.
>
> If this is not the cause, you really must provide more details about the
> errors.
>
> Frankie Li <earthy_at_hkicable.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> e3b3b67b.0206170209.2f92e1b3_at_posting.google.com...
> | Hello,
> |
> | I am trying to create a database in AIX which is owned by user account
> | other than "oracle".
> |
> | I create a new user named "oratest" and add "oinstall" and "dba" group
> | to this user. Then I logon this user and run dbassist.
> |
> | When Oracle try to create the database, it prompts some errors liked
> | "Cannot create database...".
> |
> | In fact, I would like to know if any experts here have experience
> | (about creating database owned by other users) can be shared?
> |
> | Is Oracle formally support this? Or it requires user create all
> | database through 'oracle'?
> |
> | Thanks in advance.
> |

> | Earthy

Thank you so much for your advice.

I just tried again giving oratest the DBA group as primary group and grant all necessary file permission to Oracel Home.

Using dbassist, I try to create the database using oratest. However, during "Create databases" phase, an error "ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed" is prompted. Anyone can advise what it means? I have refered to the Oracle help, but it doesn't help much.

Earthy Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 03:34:05 CDT