Re: Oracle 8i - Create database by non product owner (e.g. oracle)

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:58:45 +0200

I've checked on one of our systems, although the situation is somewhat different there.
Oracle software is installed twice: one set by Unix account oraprod, other set by oradev.
Both have dba group as primary group. Both can stop/start databases of both oradev and oraprod when he has set the proper $ORACLE_HOME etc..

I expect the database files are created owned by the Unix account that did create db with security - rw- r--- ---.
So when you create a second account with primary group dba you could make sure files could not be deleted.
But both Unix account could stop, start and connect internal without password to all databases running, regardless the Unix account that created or started it. This is by design: both are member of the dba group and that's exactly what the membership of the group is for: to give you that privilege.
So no added security here.

To make really separated environments, install software in 2 Unix accounts. Make 2 dba groups. Only one account modify oratab then, the other should have read access via "others".

About the failure: ORA-01501 must be followed by the real errors. Otherwise check the alert.log file if it is created already.

Frankie Li <earthy_at_hkicable.com> schreef in berichtnieuws e3b3b67b.0206180034.5a7bdb8f_at_posting.google.com...
| > Assuming "dba" is the group used as the DBA group when the software was
| > installed and/or linked:
| > make sure dba is the primary group for user oratest.
| > Group "oinstall" is only required when you want to run the OUI but I
would
| > recomment to use oracle account only for this.
| >
| > If this is not the cause, you really must provide more details about the
| > errors.
| >
| > Frankie Li <earthy_at_hkicable.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
| > e3b3b67b.0206170209.2f92e1b3_at_posting.google.com...
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | I am trying to create a database in AIX which is owned by user account
| > | other than "oracle".
| > |
| > | I create a new user named "oratest" and add "oinstall" and "dba" group
| > | to this user. Then I logon this user and run dbassist.
| > |
| > | When Oracle try to create the database, it prompts some errors liked
| > | "Cannot create database...".
| > |
| > | In fact, I would like to know if any experts here have experience
| > | (about creating database owned by other users) can be shared?
| > |
| > | Is Oracle formally support this? Or it requires user create all
| > | database through 'oracle'?
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance.
| > |