Re: Oracle 8i - Create database by non product owner (e.g. oracle)

From: Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:18:44 -0400

In article <e3b3b67b.0206180034.5a7bdb8f_at_posting.google.com>,  earthy_at_hkicable.com (Frankie Li) wrote:

> I just tried again giving oratest the DBA group as primary group and
> grant all necessary file permission to Oracel Home.
>
> Using dbassist, I try to create the database using oratest. However,
> during "Create databases" phase, an error "ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE
> failed" is prompted. Anyone can advise what it means? I have refered
> to the Oracle help, but it doesn't help much.

There should have been additional errors reported. Do you have those as well?

Personally, addressing your original concern, I think you're following the wrong wild fowl. Your concern, as stated in an earlier message (I'm paraphrasing), is that "once the UNIX system is hacked, all of the Oracle files are toast."

Your concern then, should be security at the UNIX level, and not at the Oracle level. Even if it were possible to create databases whose owners were different from the Oracle account, they would be no less vulnerable to deletion or otherwise if your UNIX system were hacked.

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***