Re: V$ tables

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:02:13 GMT

Charlie Edwards wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would be grateful for a DBA's opinion on this ...
> Which V$ tables should be available to developers as a matter of
> course?
>
> v$process, v$session, v$lock, v$sqlarea, v$sqltext, v$locked_object,
> v$session_longops ...
>
> Any others?
>
> For that matter, is there any reason why developers should not have
> acess to ALL V$ tables in a development environment?
>
> Thanks,
>
> CE

Please allow me to ask the question in a different way. What possible justification is there for not giving developers access to all v_$ views? And for that matter all dba_ views too?

Can they change anything?
Can they do any damage?
Is there a negative side to having developers that know and care about how their work will impact production?

Give them the whole darned thing and be glad they asked.

The only reason I have ever felt for DBAs denying access to the data dictionary views (other than ego) is that they are so insecure with their own skills that they are afraid someone might see that they haven't been doing their job well.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 11:02:13 CDT