Re: XSQL, just wondering

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:54:44 GMT

Galen Boyer wrote:

> I've searched the archives of this group, Tom Kytes site and Tahiti. I
> can't find much discussion or usage of this Oracle distribution.
>
> I am just starting an upgrade project of an already built messaging
> architecture where the database layer will now be up to a million URL
> posts to a particular XSQL page which will query tables based on a
> single id parameter and write out the reporting results to a final
> table. Doing it in batch is obviously faster, but the messaging
> architecture is already in place and, well, if you can believe it, time
> is short.
>
> So, I need to write the queries and then performance tune the heck out
> of them, but more importantly, the XSQL pages, but I'm not sure how to
> measure microseconds effectively. I can certainly run the whole process
> for, say 10000 ids, change a few things, run the 10000 id process again
> and compare times. But, I'd rather have a better strategy for
> understanding whats under the performance covers. I don't know much
> about how this technology works, but there are config parms I could fuzt
> with. Maybe, connection caching I could deal with. Parallizing,
> multi-threading ...
>
> Are there any good Thomas Kytish type books around on this technology?
> URLS?
> Experience?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Galen deForest Boyer
> Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

I believe the shortest time increment measurable in Oracle is 1/100th of a second using DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME: I would enjoy being corrected and learning something new. So to find out how long a very short process takes ... run it multiple times.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 10:54:44 CDT