Re: My DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:05:26 GMT

Charlie Edwards wrote:

> I have just received the following from my DBA:
>
> "ALTER SESSION has been granted to your account. This privilege is
> granted on the basis that it will be used to switch on PLSQL_DEBUG,
> SQL_TRACE and TIMED_STATISTICS as required. If this privilege is used
> to set any other parameter values without prior agreement, the
> privilege will be revoked."
>
> Is it just me, or is he being a bit ... well, anal?
>
> What possible reason would he have for doing this?
>
> Incidentally my login.sql script does (and always has done)
> "ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'DD-MON-YYYY';"
> so I'm screwed anyway :-/
>
> CE

Your DBA, in my less than humble opinion, is flexing an ego. Making sure that you clearly understand who is in control and reminding you that he, or she, can take away the toys anytime they want to.

If they worked for me ... they wouldn't ... unless their attitude changed 180 degrees within 24 hours. A DBAs role in testing and production is to lock things down as tight as possible and provide a secure and stable environment. In development it is to facilitate the activities of development. And this is not a shining example of how that is done.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 11:05:26 CDT