Re: Tablespace growing at enormous rate

From: Patrick Meyer <buckeye234_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 20:04:06 +0000 (UTC)

"Joe" <Joe_at_foo.com> wrote in message

> "Joe" <Joe_at_foo.com> wrote:
>

> > However since Monday our USERS tablespace is growing at
> > an alarming rate - 1400 MB per day.
>
> To be more precise - our USERS tablespace consisted of
> 10 datafiles. Since Monday these files have gone berserk -
> as I said, 1400 MB was allocated for a datafile in USERS
> tablespace per day.
>
> To remedy this somehow, yesterday I added
> new datafile (11th datafile for USERS), and set
> AUTOEXTEND OFF on old datafiles (10 of them).
> Initial size for this datafile was 500 M, AUTOEXTEND ON.
>
> However, even this one skyrocketed to 1500 MB
> after just one day.

Have you tried to identify the object that is growing? I'm not an expert, but I've never heard of a datafile grpwing by itself. Some object needs the space and Oracle is letting that object have the space by expanding the datafile.

If you turn autoextend off for all data files, you should start getting errors from the object that is growing. A better way to do find out is to query the segments view and see which object, in the USERS tablespace, is chewing up the disk.

HTH,
Patrick