Re: Databases in a server box

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 19:22:09 +0200

On Thu, 2 May 2002 18:07:18 +0200, "rob" <rob_at_dsdelft.nl> wrote:

>> Nevertheless you can also run more than one database (or instance to
>confuse you
>> even more) on one machine but almost ever it makes no sense.
>>
>Except when they are part of different applications. We host many small to
>medium sized databases (about 20) for different customers/applications on a
>big SUN Box with external storage (I wouldn't try this on NT/W2K). As long
>as they don't interfere performance wise there is no problem. Maintenance
>cost is reduced this way.
>
>Regards,
>Rob.

There is NO reason why multiple applications can't reside in one single database. Security won't be compromised if you do so. Multiple applications of *one single customer* should go into *one database* especially when it is quite likely redundant data is going to be maintained in multiple databases. This will increase maintenance cost.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 12:22:09 CDT