Re: Databases in a server box

From: rob <rob_at_dsdelft.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:08:03 +0200

> There is NO reason why multiple applications can't reside in one
> single database. Security won't be compromised if you do so. Multiple
> applications of *one single customer* should go into *one database*
> especially when it is quite likely redundant data is going to be
> maintained in multiple databases. This will increase maintenance
> cost.

It works fine for us :

- I create new testing databases by cloning production.
- Cold backup requirements for the databases are different.
- I run a few oracle versions/ patch levels on this server for testing.
- Client applications sometimes have un/pw hardcoded so objects are fixed to
one owner.
- I can tune the databases independently.
- utl_file_dir settings do not interfere.
- I can take databases offline independently for maintenance.
- During upgrades, exports I like to put the database in restricted mode
- I can stop the listener for a database not for a schema.

You must agree that having multiple applications in one database limits your choices when administering your applications.

So in theory and in some situations you might have a point, in my real life this is a very workable solution for us. Except for the overhead on resources I don't see any major down sides.

Regards,
Rob Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 03:08:03 CDT