Re: Databases in a server box

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 10:08:46 +0200

Sean M wrote:

> Examples:
>
> - RMAN is an app. Should it's catalog be in the same database as
> production?
> - Reporting databases. Should reporting users compete with production
> OLTP users?
> - Testing databases. Should they run with production? If not, should
> you only have one?
> - Training databases. Should every trainee have their own database?
> - Should a company's email database be the same as it's CRM reporting
> database?
> - Should a company's online trading database be the same as it's Human
> Resources database?
> - Should a company's support database be the same as it's ERP database?

Many of your examples I wouldn't run on the same machine. Example: RMAN catalog, if in the prod database -> bad, if on the same machine -> not much better. If I have more than one machine I also wouldn't put my testing database on my production system etc.
But if you are limited in resources it might make sense.

Regards,

Knut Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 03:08:46 CDT