Re: Databases in a server box

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:41:11 GMT

In article <ud33k1t8sc4l65_at_corp.supernews.com> postbus_at_sybrandb.-verwijderdit.demon.nl writes:

>In my job I always see the opposite: Oracle databases being used as if they
>were sqlserver apps. One application, one schema, the instance is doing
>*absolutely nothing* and the server is suffocating.

>Or how about 6 different Oracle Financials instances (including several
>application servers) on one single *entry level* HP-UX server?

Most companies running Oracle Financials tend to have at least three instances running: PROD, TEST and DEV.

And while Oracle Financials is MultiOrg out of the box, there may be a business case for running more than one PROD instance for Oracle Financials.

Philip

 Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA   e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60.5.291.1011 Fax:+60.5.291.9932    Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
 þ 20435.55 þ Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat.