Re: Possible to compare date with easter (or any other holiday) with sql?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 19:18:37 +0200

On 2 May 2002 08:03:17 -0700, marcel.kraupp_at_gmx.ch (Marcel Kraupp) wrote:

>Hello
>
>Is there an easy (or not so easy) way that allows me to compare a date
>with easter (or any ohter holiday such as pentecost, thanksgiving and
>so on)?
>
>I appreciate any help.
>
>Marcel

I'm not sure whether it is possible to implement the algorithm of Father Clavius to determine the Easter date can be implemented in (pl/)sql, as there is quite some arithmetic. I have this algorithm on an old PC without monitor and keyboard, but you also might find it on the web. Father Clavius devised the algorithm on order of Pope Gregory for his calendar reform of 1582.
Pentecost is 50 days after Easter, the meaning of the word is 'The 50th day'

You may find the algorithm of Father Clavius on

http://www.shef.ac.uk/~puremath/theorems/easter.html

As usual Google helped here

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 12:18:37 CDT