Re: UTL_FILE

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:02:42 +0400

$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.ora is the place to start looking for them. This copy usually just includes an actual initialization file, so it's the place to look for actual pfile location. If it is actual pfile, you can edit it right there then (be sure to save a copy of original file if you are not completely sure what you are doing, otherwise you may render the instance unstartable). UTL_FILE_DIR parameter defines the list of directories to which UTL_FILE will have access (provided that OS user running Oracle has access to them on file system level).
As of your error message - without seeing the code that produced it, it's hard to tell what's wrong.