Re: Do not need backups with Veritas Volume Replicator

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:03:28 GMT

damorgan wrote:

> Yep. As will a tape.

Yes, but with tape you have the luxury of reverting to a backup *before* the corruption, assuming you keep multiple backups around.

> I was however a bit hasty in only considering backups from the standpoint of
> hardware failure. In the case of operator failure I prefer to use an audit trail
> strategy ... which once again eliminates the need for tape while guaranteeing
> the ability to reverse any and all transactions.

Eliminates/guarantees? That's some audit trail! How far back does this trail go? Your audit trail is stored somewhere, yes? What happens when the audit trail becomes corrupt or lost? What happens when you need to patch or upgrade your database and the process goes awry? Seriously, I'm not trying to bait you here - I'd love to know more about this strategy.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 23:03:28 CST