Re: Do not need backups with Veritas Volume Replicator

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 05:01:46 GMT

damorgan wrote:

> I tend to agree with them. I'm not sure I see any real purpose served in backing
> up a server that has replication either so long as the other machine is at least
> 1,000 miles away from the primary.

How about for all the usual reasons you backup a database? Like before making a big change (upgrade/patch/major batch load), user error, corruption, cloning, etc. As for the original question, it all depends on what the customer is worried about.

> Id guess that 25% of the time I've been in an environment where someone ran for
> a backup tape ... restoration failed so I have little faith in them. Which of
> course doesn't stop people from filling warehouses with tape.

Sounds like those environments you mentioned didn't use tape technology very well. We restore from tape on a daily basis and in the last two years I've never seen a failure (even when we have to retrieve it out the the warehouse). Not that it doesn't happen, but 25%? Yikes.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 23:01:46 CST