Re: Oracle Cold Backup Shared tablespaces

From: Carol <cmcalear_at_pulsion.co.uk>
Date: 5 Mar 2002 01:11:02 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<a60gs8$49c$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Oh, I agree about needing to know export and import... just that's it's
> overkill for her particular situation as her primary means of backup (always
> good to have an export dump file handy in case disgruntled junior decides to
> drop a table *and* delete the backup!).
>
> Regards
> HJR
> --
> Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> ===============================
>

> "TurkBear" <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> > As usual Howard is right...I oversimplified my comment about simple
> copying - I meant to say 'just copying the data files' is
> > not sufficient...
> >
> > I somewhat disagree, however,. the export/import is overkill...anyone that
> needs to serve as a DBA , in my opinion, should be
> > familiar with ( at least) these 2 utilities...Clean exports/imports will
> eventually 'save your butt' when the system
> > crashes..
> >
> > ( RMAN was a bit much...)
> >

> > "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Comment below.
> > >HJR

> > Check out our new Unlimited Server. No Download or Time Limits!
> > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Hi There

Sorry to clarify the point I mean two instances. I have instance A and instance B.
I have a live server with both instances and I have created myself a copy on a development server. The live environment is NT with oracle 8.1.5 and the development environment is Win 2K with oracle 8.1.6.

 I am practicing on a development server and when I took a full export of instance B
from the live server and imported this into my development database, I received errors that it could not import some tables because a table space did not exist,
IMP-00017: following statement failed with ORACLE error 959:  "CREATE TABLE "AGT_CONTACT" &#8230;&#8230;. IMP-00003: ORACLE error 959 encountered
ORA-00959: tablespace 'SPH_DATA' does not exist

but this table space has not been created for instance B but it has for instance A. When I queried the v$datafile table for instance A I got

E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SPH\SYSTEM01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SPH\DATAFILES\SPH_RBS01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SPH\DATAFILES\SPH_DATA01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SPH\DATAFILES\SPH_TEMP01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SPH\DATAFILES\SPH_INDX01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\SPH\DATAFILES\SPHAUDIT01.DBF

And for instance b I got

E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ENGSPH\SYSTEM01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ENGSPH\DATAFILES\ENGSPH_RBS01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ENGSPH\DATAFILES\ENGSPH_DATA01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ENGSPH\DATAFILES\ENGSPH_INDX01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ENGSPH\DATAFILES\ENGSPHAUDIT01.DBF
E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\ENGSPH\DATAFILES\ENGSPH_TEMP02.DBF

I check also on the live server and instance B does not have a table space SPH_DATA so this is what led me to believe that the tablespaces were shared.

Thanks for your help

Carol Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 03:11:02 CST