Re: VB6 Oracle Connection without installing Oracle Client..

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:16:02 GMT

You can make a datasource without installing the client you just can't connect - which seems like a futile exercise.

You need the Oracle client.
ODBC, ADO etc. is just an API to the underlying native API of a database. In this case the underlying native API of the database is OCI (Oracle call interface). To make calls to that interface you need the Oracle client. The Oracle client knows how to talk by its own API over the wire to the Oracle server. (I forget what Oracle internally calls this - UPI I think - but they don't publish it)
In case there was any confusion:
You need the Oracle client.
Jim