backup Oracle 9i on Win 2K server

From: Andrew Tompkins <andrew.tompkins_at_jjmackay.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:38:15 GMT

Hello,

I am not a DBA or anywhere near that (so my questions may be very simple). I have a Windows 2000 server, on it (among other things) is Oracle 9i. Now, I am backing up the complete server using the backup utility that comes with Win2k (it is only a test server for now!).

The only thing I am concerned with is if my server complete goes down (i.e. hard drives go), then I want to beable to put the entire system back to the state from the last backup. I read that before a backup I need to shut down the "OracleServicesid" service on the Win2K server so that it will unlocks certain files. Do I (or should I) also put the database in "Archivelog" mode?? Is there anything else I need to do before I do general backups??

Appreciate any help. Thanks,

Andrew Received on Wed Feb 20 2002 - 12:38:15 CST