Re: backup Oracle 9i on Win 2K server

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 04:34:30 +1100

Be aware that terminating the service effects a shutdown abort on the Instance (well, it's configurable in the registry, and it may do something different by default these days than when I was a lad). That's not the end of the world, but it does mean that your database is going to be backed up in a state that already requires recovery... and such a recovery would require you not to lose whichever of your redo logs is the current one. Perhaps just a bit risky.

So, if I were you, I would be shutting down the database in a SQL Plus session with the 'immediate' option first. *Then* terminate the service, and then go ahead with your backup.

Being in archivelog mode, incidentally, means that you have the option of doing hot backups. It also means that you don't have to restore your complete backup in the event of a hard drive dying, but can restore just the bits that have been damaged and roll them forward in time to catch up with what's left of the database. In other words, archivelog gives you more options and flexibility, but you certainly don't need to be in archivelog mode to do what you are proposing here.

Just as an aside, there's a document at my website (link below), under the 'Books' link, that's all about backup and recovery techniques and may be of some help to you in the future.

Best regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com

"Andrew Tompkins" <andrew.tompkins_at_jjmackay.ca> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I am not a DBA or anywhere near that (so my questions may be very simple).
> I have a Windows 2000 server, on it (among other things) is Oracle 9i.
Now,