Re: backup Oracle 9i on Win 2K server

From: Walter Dorninger <walter.dorninger_at_aon.at>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:20:12 +0100

First of all I think you should really get familliar with the backup and RESTORE (!!) process of oracle (at least read the chapters about this topic - you can find the whole oracle docs on http://technet.oracle.com - registration is free).

But here a short intro:

(1) You are talking about COLD Backups. This means you shutdown the DB (incl. services under NT) and then copy all files to tape or somewhere else. This means in case of an error you can take your COLD backup and copy the files back and restart oracle. (The state of your system is now exactly as it was at backuptime ! - all transactions after your backup are lost)

(2) The other option (a little bit more compilcated) for backing up oracle is the HOT backup which means that the DB is up and running during the backup. Oracle uses logfiles while performing transactions. These logfiles are then copied to archivelogs (which should be stored on a separate disk - to make sure that they ar not harmed in case your datafiledisk dies). In case of a demage of your oracle datafiles you can simply take the last backup (on tape) and then apply the archivelog and you are at the state of your LAST commited transaction. Take a look at www.dbasupport.com to get some HOT-BACKUP Scripts for NT (i'm sure you will find some there).

... but anyway
(1) take the oracle docs and READ the stuff (2) try it out get familiar with the backup AND the restore process

Walter Dorninger
walter.dorninger_at_aon.at

"Andrew Tompkins" <andrew.tompkins_at_jjmackay.ca> wrote in message news:r2Sc8.40$7S6.30711_at_sapphire.mtt.net...
> Hello,
>
> I am not a DBA or anywhere near that (so my questions may be very simple).
> I have a Windows 2000 server, on it (among other things) is Oracle 9i.
Now,