Re: SYS as SYSDBA

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 06:24:18 -0800

Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<a4g1k8$cd1$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>...
> First off: What do the many REPOST: messages mean in this NG?
>

> With the installation of Oracle 9i my installation scripts failed
> since user SYS is required to connect as SYSDBA.
>
> I'm using an OCI program which I wrote some time ago.
> Does anyone know how to add the role to the connection string?
>
> OCIAttrSet()

Are you saying you are routinely connecting as SYS using OCI? SYS has never been intended to be used as an everyday user, which is one reason why Oracle removed the normal connect. If you want to compromise the security of your database, having a hardcoded SYS password in OCI programs is one of the best ways to do so.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 08:24:18 CST