Re: SYS as SYSDBA

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 16:17:29 GMT

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:<a4g1k
> 8$cd1$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>...

>> First off: What do the many REPOST: messages mean in this NG?
>>

>> With the installation of Oracle 9i my installation scripts failed
>> since user SYS is required to connect as SYSDBA.
>>
>> I'm using an OCI program which I wrote some time ago.
>> Does anyone know how to add the role to the connection string?
>>
>> OCIAttrSet()
> Are you saying you are routinely connecting as SYS using OCI?
> SYS has never been intended to be used as an everyday user, which is
> one reason why Oracle removed the normal connect.
> If you want to compromise the security of your database, having a
> hardcoded SYS password in OCI programs is one of the best ways to do
> so.

I was in error. Examining the situation further is that I do not need the SYS connection over the OCI interface. It was a two step process:

  1. sqlplus was used to connect to the DB as SYS and install some views (view8.ora that comes from centurasoft/gupta) and add some public synonyms and views to tables owned by SYS. Also a user is created by the sql file.
  2. the OCI program is used to connect as the user established under 1. and fills the database from a Gupta SQL file (It does the necessary adaptations to the Oracle SQL syntax)

So I was in error when assuming that I was connecting as SYS over OCI. False alarm.

But what I need to know now:

How can I still connect via SQLPlus to the Oracle9i database as SYS with the SYDBA priviledge?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de